Can my ex take our child to another country?

The law permits a court to allow a parent to take a child to another country, either for a vacation, or sometimes for a permanent residence. Sometimes parents choose to clarify in their court ordered parenting plan whether they agree that travel to foreign countries for purposes of vacation or study will automatically be available to their children.

It is important to know that some countries have signed the Hague Convention on Child Abduction, an international treaty to prevent child abduction between countries.

A judge may order on parent to agree to obtain a passport or other necessary travel documents of a child to allow for a vacation by the other. However, every parent has the right to be heard on the question on whether foreign travel or relocation is safe and/or healthy for the child, and to have his or her opinions considered in such a decision.