My child is not yet 19, but is out of high school and working—Do I still have to pay support?

Emancipation is a more difficult question for a child who is employed but who is living at home with a parent. Parties may obligate themselves by a written agreement entered with the court to support children through college. Absent an agreement, the court may not order child support to continue for college past the age of 19. Also, if a child is disabled to the extent that they are unlikely to be able to support themselves, child support may be extended if the motion is filed prior to the age of 19. However, once the child supports terminates, it is not possible to later return to court to extend the order if an adult child becomes disabled.

Criminal Matters

Our experienced legal team has an extensive background in criminal defense. We have tried numerous criminal and civil jury trials and have the ability to represent defendants in all areas of criminal defense.

Divorce Cases

It is important to remember in family law that the survivors have to live on the battlefield. We know that divorce is never easy and our goal is to be there to guide you through the legal, emotional and financial matters during this difficult time.


Our mediation team works with all parties to resolve the issues. Everyone involved can contribute to an agreeable resolution rather than having the dispute arbitrated or litigated, resulting in a third party deciding how the dispute may be resolved legally.

Our Mission

To support, guide and advocate people through some of life’s most challenging moments. To set reasonable, achievable goals and strategies. To envision the best future possible, and help to create that future.

What rights do I have in my exes pension and retirement accounts?

Portions of a pension or retirement account, which have accumulated (either by contributions, or passive increase in the value of invested assets) during a marriage, are considered to be marital property. These may be divided by a judge as part of a divorce or by the parties as part of a divorce agreement.

The law permits all or portions of plans such as IRAs and 401ks to be transferred as part of a divorce outcome without incurring tax or penalty for withdrawal. The law also permits fixed retirement plans such as Colorado public employees retirement association benefits [PERA] to be divided as those benefits are paid out over the lifetime of retirement.